Is coffee really for closers

Just a note - I hate coffee - don't drink it. Long story short but I ever get my hands on Sam Beck I will make him eat coffee paste also till he is sick :)

Yes, it has been a while since I pontificated here but I unexpectedly have some free time on my hands and it is about time I added some of my brilliance to your day.

So I am as sales monkey, pretty good at it from all accounts, and I really hate the phrase "coffee is for closers". It is generally used by sales managers as a put down. "Jenkins, did you earn that coffee, see Perkins over there - he closed the Remington deal - he get's coffee - you don't, because coffee is for closers". What a dick. Never really worried me, because if you have been paying attention, I hate coffee.

All that being said I don't think closing earns a ...... (insert drink choice here). I think it is more important to qualify the deal than just close it. I have spent way too much time resolving issues because the previous sales clown either:
A) Sold something we couldn't support
B) Sold something that didn't exist (the 2 are different)
C) Made outrageous promises to get the contract signed knowing they could not be delivered on in time but didn't care because they got their coffee
D) (and I could go on and on) didn't qualify what the actual customer wanted in the first place and just fubared the entire deal

So make sure you qualify the deal before you close it - this is true in all aspects of life, not just sales. With this unexpected free time I have spoken to a number of people looking to take my free time from me. I have certain parameters that I require (read $) to make the next leap and I have disqualified myself from a couple of positions already. I don't want to take something knowing that I will be looking elsewhere the entire time to get back to the $ I need. Yes it hurts financially at the moment but in the long term I am hoping it will pay off (better not take to bloody long though as free time can be over rated)

Enough for today, as it is Poets Day after all and being I have so much free time I can hang out with Mr Heineken even earlier. I think I will use some of my free time to actually pontificate more in the coming days - I have so much wisdom to impart :)

Work hard and play hard - earn your inspiration

Happy Poets Day

Comments

  1. LE-MERIDIAN FINANCING SERVICES. the loan company that grant me loan of 5,000,000.00 USD When other loan investors has neglect my offer but Le_Meridian Funding Service grant me success loan.they are into directly in loan financing and project  in terms of investment. they provide financing solutions to companies and individuals seeking access to capital markets funds, they can helped you fund your project or expand your business.. Email Contact:::: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Also  lfdsloans@outlook.com or Write on whatsapp Number  on    1-(989-394-3740)Good Intend,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you