Me vs my Suburban

I love my Suburban - I call it the beast - it is just like me. Thing has almost 200,000 miles on it, dodgy transmission, a door that doesn't lock automatically, speakers that crackle and fuzz when they work, dim headlights and sometimes it is hard to start in the mornings. I make sure the oil is topped up, get it serviced every now and again, change out dead bulbs and have replaced the door handles a couple of times on the driver side. It has given me concerns, cost me a couple of dollars in maintenance but it keeps on going. I don't want to ever replace it. I need to install new shocks, replace the transmission and fix the stereo but there is no need to replace the beast. Sure there area few dings and dents and miles on the beast but we have driven in snow, ice, up mountains, across paddocks and along beaches. We have had fun.

So how does that compare to me.

Well I have a lot more than 200,000 miles wear and tear on me without question, however in other ways we are very similar. I am hard to start in the morning, dodgy transmission, dim headlights and we both smoke out the back end when I floor it. I have crashed into a lot more things than the beast and have only been rear ended as part of a prostrate exam. I have dicky shocks (knees) and some other mechanical issues (hip surgery, fucked up back and lots of broken shit) plus (according to the neuro that saw me last year) lots of contusions in my brain. Hey yeah I have had fun.

So what has this to do with Poets Day

Work hard and play hard is part of the credo. As you get older it get's harder to play as hard (well at least to recover from it) so it becomes all about balance. Flintstones vitamins get replaced with Vitamin M (800mg Motrin) or some Oxy when the pain really wants to fuck with you. Check ups become more important and just like the beast I need to listen to the backfires and timing issues a little more. A great example is that I just discovered my gall bladder needs to be extracted. I have had a dodgy one for years at a guess but I just thought it was back pain/muscle issues and the fact that certain foods didn't like me :) The transmission in the beast needs replacing but because it is still working I have just let it ride, I think I will get it fixed soon.

So work hard (but not too hard that you don't have a life), play hard (as hard as you can, but don't over do it and listen to your body - I really need to heed my own advice here) but no matter what, earn your inspiration.

Happy Poets Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you