Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you

You know, it’s funny where I get inspiration to write this drivel. I’ll tell you this much for free, writing this crap is not easy, but my adoring fan (thanks Mum) is ever demanding for new and improved posts (usually with less swearing) so I have to keep my fan/Mum happy. Also The English Major doesn’t do fuck all on Poets Day anyway so the 5 minutes he spends checking my posts are the highlight of his day.

Anyway, back to this week’s inspiration, a Crowded House (famous Kiwi band, not from the prison colony even though they might claim them – and Phar Lap) song. Why is it this week’s inspiration? I have no idea. It just popped into my head the other day during an opium induced haze and stayed there.

The other day I was at a trade show in the safe zone known as San Fran, City by the Bay, home of the 50th Super Bowl (sort of as the stadium is nowhere near town any more) and a close personal acquaintance of mine, let’s call him Mr Pelaez (really need to update your LinkedIn profile buddy – still shows you working at Kiss Hug) made a comment that I was the happiest person he knows. Firstly dude, you really need to get better friends and secondly I presume you said happiest because, you know, I was drinking :) Even more recently the person who many blame for my presence (my Dad) wrote to me that he has a lot of admiration for me (nice to hear) and the enthusiasm I give to life and my friends – he then proceeded to give me a written kick in the pants as any good parent should do.

And yes, this post is about me.  Have you not learnt yet it is not about you :) Although, truth be known, unlike Tinder, there might be something in here for you.

Always take the weather with you.

You can (crap, ok so now it is no longer just about me) change the climate of where you are, whether it be work, home or visiting your awesomely talented younger brother performing Iago in Othello in DC Feb 23- Mar 27 (go see it if you are in the area and if you are not in the area make your way there and then go see it). Ok, let’s try that sentence again. You can change the climate of where you are by bringing the weather with you. Well yes I know that is very bloody obvious, but like many things; we frequently forget the basics unless we either practice them or get reminded of them. Or if you are me.

Now that being said you cannot be a bright sunny day all the time because that can get bloody annoying. There needs to be weather, not just sun all the time (or rain for that matter as you’ll end up being a depressing prick, supporting the Seahawks, passing when you should have beast-moded and drinking Starbucks crapoffee all the time). Weather (to me) means a variation, otherwise they would have to fill 10 minutes of the news each night with actual, you know, news. Variety is the spice of life (at least that is my excuse). If it is always sunny things wither and die and sand gets absolutely everywhere. If you are always doom and gloom, well you are a prick for one thing and no one likes you Randy. Just like weather, you need to have some highs and lows, bright sunny days and some moist ones, but the one thing that you need to remember is that when you bring the weather you can change the climate that you are entering. The power of a sunny person entering a rainy room is immeasurable.

People tend to prefer someone bringing a ray of sunshine into their life because quite often it is drizzling where they are (life can be a S.O.B. sometimes - gimme a drink!) and also a ray of sunshine is uplifting. Your day can always get better. Also, if someone walks into your day surrounded by storm clouds maybe it is your turn to be the ray of sunshine. It is not that hard. Even the most batshit crazy blog writer sometimes needs a boost of Vitamin Smile.

So to summarize briefly for those reading the expurgated version: You bring your weather with you, try and make it nice.

As usual the only thing damaged in the reading of this blog was your IQ.

Work hard, play hard, and earn your inspiration

Happy Poets Day

Comments

  1. Or sing, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine; you make me happy when skies are gray dear"
    So Shine On !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, James! I agree with this wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, James! I agree with this wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night