You can’t fix stupid, but you can slow it down for a minute


Picture this, the ball spins wide from the breakdown and I see a hole in the defense. I break into full sprint calling the person outside me to back me up as I might not be able to score but if they run good support lines they most definitely will. Just as I kick into full turbo there is a pop, instant nasty pain below my left buttock and I hit the ground as gracefully as a sack of potatoes. I know it’s not good, my buddy asks if I have cramped up but no, not me. A bit like Jean Claude, the famous French Fighter Pilot and lover extraordinaire, when I go down, I go down in flames. Off the pitch I hobble then straight to the Urgent Care at the local Orthopedic, torn hamstring is the verdict so crutches, handicap parking placard and rehab are my not so distant future. It sucks getting old :)

None of this should have happened but as I love to say, you can’t fix stupid, and I am a poster child for that statement currently (actually historically and most likely in the future also but let’s focus on the here and now).

I was chatting to Johnny Utah before I headed out to do coaching on Monday. He knew I was hurting from some basic over exertion stupidity and said maybe I should consider cutting back on the over exertion stupidity. My response was that as long as they can keep fixing it I will keep breaking it. He then reminded me that we have a 4 day trip to Dallas coming up and a multitude of meetings at the Thunderdome in Dallas (more commonly known as the Gaylord Hotel) and that I was not to do anything that might cause me injury. I listened to his advice then promptly went out and did something that caused me injury, so I didn’t technically ignore him, as something is not anything (however anything can be something, probably). Sure the something I did might slow me down for a minute but it does not mean I won’t do it again. Just to clarify I will not deliberately try to tear my hamstring again (it's not a fun pain, if you know what I mean) but I will most definitely put myself in a situation to possibly do it again, although next time I will make sure I warm up more. 

You can’t fix stupid, but you can hobble me for a little while until I can go full stupid again.

A wise person once told me to listen to my body as it will tell me what I can and cannot do. My problem is my body is constantly complaining about aches and pains so it is hard to actually decipher what is being said above all the whining, and I hate whining so I just tend to ignore most everything it says. It sometimes scares me to think what physical issues lie in wait for me in the future but if I spend all my time worrying about it I will miss all the fun that is here and now.

There are a few different kinds of stupid. There is the stupid that thinks that male cheerleaders are tougher than rugby players. That is a special kind of stupid that cannot be fixed, and there is the other kind of stupid that just ignores some of the warning signs and heads down the route anyway. I mean just because the sign says ‘Bridge out’ does that really mean the bridge is out for everyone and even if the bridge is out can I at least drive up to the bridge to see if it is really out, and if it really is out will there be a place for me to turn around in my 35ft RV with 10 foot trailer without ripping up someone’s front yard at 3am in the morning (and yes that example is very specific for a reason and I hope the people liked their newly plowed front lawn the next morning) - you get the idea.

Stupid is all relative, and unfortunately some of my relatives are stupid, but once again we are getting off topic. Everyone needs a little stupid in their lives because stupid can also be fun. If we learn from all of our mistakes then we would never be able to watch Rugby or NASCAR as no one would be willing to play, let alone the great loss of never seeing a male cheerleader ever again. Actually not sure that the loss of the male cheerleader would be such a big deal, lets face it everyone just checks out the dancers anyway as they are usually more bouncy – female dancers at least, I am not sure if there are male dancers – but if there are I am sure they are even tougher than male cheerleaders :)

Not all stupids are equal is all I am saying and we need to understand that. Some stupids are just performed by someone who is denying their age, some are performed by those denying their abilty, some are performed by some denying their limitations and some are performed by some that are just really fucking stupid. I like to feel that the first 3 are not necessarily that big a deal as long as all you end up is a little hurty, whether physical hurt or a little bit of embarrassment. Those first 3 are ones that I can live with - and hope the people around me can live with also. Unfortunately (like now) those stupids can slow me down at bit, but y’all should feel confident that as soon as I can I will be out there being stupid again. Until the day my temporary handicap placard becomes a permanent one I will continue to exercise a little bit of stupid on a regular basis – and all the permanent placard will do is slow me down a bit.

As usual this weeks post is nothing at all about you and 100% about me. If you are looking for a reason to deny me coverage Mr Insurance Person you may note that this may or may not be a fictional story and as far as you know I could have torn my hamstring whilst attempting a dangerous dismount off my sex swing (actually it was a more a case of me mounting someone dangerous but that is just me being a bit pedantic – and wishful). All that being said any similarity to any person living or dead or called Luke is purely deliberate and quite frankly adds to the whole story anyway, I mean without a life full of amusing anecdotes this blog would be absolute crap :)

Work hard, play hard and earn your inspiration

Telecom people – see you in the Thunderdome Sunday – 2 people enter, 1 signed deal leaves – oh, and we have a new theme song this year peformed by Tina Turner.

We don’t need a SIP Provider
We don’t need your jittery dial tone
All we need is OnNet routes
Bullshitdome

For you non-Telecom people - skip that last bit :)


Happy Poets Day



All the Customers say  
We don’t need a SIP Provider
We don’t need your jittery dial tone
All we need is OnNet routes

Bullshitdome




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you