Who will tell the emperor he is not wearing any clothes?


It is not often that I start one of my posts with a disclaimer this week I will, sort of.

This weeks posts has been fermenting/stagnating in my mind for a while, it was based on a comment I made to The English Major Aug/Sept last year and is no way related to the current going ons in the world. Although it seems pretty damn pertinent for some odd reason - maybe these posts are a bit like The Simpsons - 2 dimensional and a bit hit or miss :)

I am sure most of y'all recall the short tale by Hans Christian Anderson (and no he is not the lead singer in Aqua for you Millennials) about the Emperor who was so fond of new clothes he spent all his money buying new outfits - I used to date a girl like that. A couple of con-artists turned up and convinced him they could weave him the most amazing outfit, so amazing in fact that only a person as suitable (oh that was bad) as him would be able to see the patterns and colors, stupid people were not worthy of appreciating the beauty of his new garb. So the emperor gave these weavers of bullshit gold and silk to produce his new clobber and sent people to check up on their work on a regular basis. The reports back to the Emperor explained the beauty of the design (as told to them by the weavers) as no one wished to admit they could not see the robes as that would signify their stupidity. In the end the Emperor goes to try on his new outfit, but he cannot admit that he cannot see it either for fear of knowing he is not worthy. It takes a child, someone not scared of the Emperor's powers, to point out there might be an issue with the whole situation. The Emperor admits that he knows he has been swindled but, even knowing that he was parading the family jewels down the street, continues with the parade of foolishness. Too proud to admit he had been fooled and too stupid to admit he was wrong. In his eyes the procession had to continue, some Emperors don't have the balls to admit when they are wrong - or maybe it was just cold that day :)

This world needs more honest words from kids and less from fawning sycophants

When this idea for a post first slapped me in the face (a bit like someone I used to date) it was not so much about the political situation that we are currently in but more about some of the different managers that I have had the pleasure of working for over the years. There are those that are like that Emperor, not so much walking naked through the office (a bit like someone I used to date) but more acting like an Emperor. To me (and I am probably guessing to those of you reading this) the position of Emperor connotes a certain amount of beatings, thrashings and the odd killing to ensure that the general populace stayed in line. That kind of leadership doesn't exactly foster the ability for the common people (and all people are common to an Emperor) to provide any sort of feedback apart from the feedback that the Emperor wants to hear (a bit like someone I used to date). It is pretty easy to parallel that 'fear of feedback' environment to the workplace. Sure you are less likely to get killed  as these days the Emperor might only relieve you of your job, not your head.

Who will tell the emperor he is not wearing any clothes = Who will tell the boss that they are wrong?

It's not easy in this day and age to tell the Emperor his jewels are showing. Not many people have the financial freedom to make that call because there is a certain amount of uncertainty, of that we can be quite sure, as to what the end result will be :) It's not like it is a new issue in society, for eons people have been afraid to tell the truth to a person in power for fear that the truth is not what they perceive the truth to be.

A strong person has the ability to tell someone they are wrong, a stronger person has the ability to realize they are.

I just saw this posted on The Book of Faces for Business People - 'Leadership is not about being in charge. Leadership is about taking care of those in your charge'. Yeah, nah, sorry. Sure that is part of leadership, but real leadership is having the balls to admit when you are wrong and also having the ability to listen and learn and to be open to input from others without taking it personally (as long as it is valid and not vindictive). I have worked for a number of people that believe they are the smartest person in any room they are in - unfortunately that is often only true if they are in a single stall shitter.  My family (and some others) will attest that I used to believe that I was never wrong (unfortunately sometimes they still think I am that way) - well with age and rugged handsomeness has also come wisdom (and a few extra pounds). I now know what I do not know, and I also know that what I think I know may not be correct. Just because at some point I was given the information or that I have seen that information around does not make that information correct. Fortunately for many I am not in a position where I need to be told I am not wearing any clothes, I am the kid on the side of the street wondering out loud why we are cheering for an idiot showing his twig and berries (a bit like someone who used to date me) :)

Maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are now if we had more kids calling out that they can see the Emperor's junk.


Any similarities to any person living (or not so living) in this post are highly unlikely as this is not about you (you know who you are). The lack of swearing in this weeks post is in no way a reflection on the author, just one of those things unfortunately, and sure I could throw in a quick curse word  now just so y'all know it is me but I am not going to because I can't be freaking bothered :) Those of you that noticed the paraphrasing of the Donald in this weeks post, congratulations, but did you see the Rowan Atkinson one as that one is a bit obscure and a lot more intelligent, to be certain. Remember that my advise here is 100% free and the author is in no way liable for anything, ever. Someone in the office just said it was 66F (19C for the rest of the world) - I hear a green bottle calling my name.

Work hard, play hard and earn your inspiration

Happy Poets Day





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you