I tried writing this post before....


Well at least a post that was something like this. Actually I may have already written this post but I forget stuff so here we go again maybe :) 

Earlier this week a friend of mine posted the comment on the book of faces

"If you decide that one of my children don't belong somewhere because of the color of their skin and decide it is ok to assault or taunt them, I WILL protect and defend my own. If you have an issue with someone, best to keep it to yourself. This is not the 1960's or earlier when you can say and do things to people with racially motivated hate and not have some action reciprocated."

This person is my friend for a couple of reasons, we first met met when I coached his son on the rugby field when the team he was with was a few players short and we would create what they call motley teams over here in the US (I prefer to call them The Barbarians but then again I am correct)  :)  My friends son is a wonderful kid, absolute joy to coach and to be around. He always calls out 'Hey Coach Kiwi' when he sees me and heads in for a hug, he always has a smile on his face, he played with one of my favorite coaches from Charlotte at a jamboree just to play rugby as we needed to move people around, he helped out with the U14s tournament we just had. He is an awesome kid.

And now some fuck wit has taken to him and that really is fucking annoying and incredibly sad and also getting more and more prevalent it seems and that, well that is just not fucking acceptable.

Funnily enough as a 6ft,250lb white person I have not really had people take issue at the color of my skin. I have once been told to go 'back to where I come from' by a disgruntled retail customer when I was selling TVs and stuff but that person said it under their breath and quickly raced (and I mean quickly) away when they realized someone else had heard the comment and relayed it to me. 

I have read stories from all over the world where so called locals tell people to go back where they came from. Problem was the so called locals were not indigenous to that country - actually it seems from my very limited research that the people spouting such hatred are mostly immigrants too, at some point. Oh, I just realized what all those people had in common, they were gutless racist fuck heads.

I might be a clueless idiot but it seems that anyone telling someone else they don't belong somewhere because of the color of their skin/accent is a scared little person. The only time someone should tell you that you don't belong somewhere should be for your safety - not for their phobias. 

Like I said I said at the start of this post I have tried to write this post before but it is very hard to write as I am not the victim of prejudice, I have never been the victim of it (apart from  one silly little scared man) and most likely I never will be so I really cannot write about this subject at all. I can however say that my friends young son has a village behind him and we will do everything we can to make sure his life chances as as equal as anyone else's. 

This evening I plan to have a couple of beers with a few friends of mine. A Samoan, an Irishman, a South African, an American and of course me, a Kiwi. I am sure we won't be getting told to go back home where we come from - maybe via email but definitely not to our faces. And to my friends son and to my friend, you are always welcome in my house, anytime.

Enough of this shit, just e-fucking-nough. Yes I am an offensive fuck wit sometimes but I am not a gutless racist prick.

Word hard, play hard and don't be one of those fucking assholes.

Happy Poets Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you