A kiwi looks at 50


To put it mildly, the world is a pretty odd place right now. There is a terrible beer virus (named after a terrible beer obviously) causing havoc all over the planet, and the ride has only just really begun here in the US. Looking forward to hopefully riding this out without too many issues and getting to the other side with just enough toilet paper :)

So let's try and quickly look back over the last 50 years, since there will not be a big party this weekend to celebrate, in cricket terms, a decent innings so far - 50, not out. There will be a party later this year though :)

50 years ago Jeff and Raewyn realized that they had made a huge mistake when I was bought kicking and screaming into the world at Middlemore Hospital, Otahuhu. At the time we lived on Great South Rd in Papatoetoe I think (what do I know) and then we moved to Tui Rd to the Papatoetoe Motel that they owned for a bit then to Redoubt Rd in Manukau. School was Papatoetoe Central for me and all of the time it was barefoot as that was just the way things were. Over the next few years a sister and 2 brothers were added, all born in a nicer hospital than me, pretty sure that was my fault :)

May of 79 we headed off to Europe with Nana.  We travelled for 3 months with 4 kids and Nana in the back seat of the car during the days then top and tails sleeping in caravan. Oh the stories we could tell. The favorites might be the time I got zapped by the caravan door due to an earthing issue, running unknowingly through a bed of stinging nettles (just a note, they really sting), finding clothes and other essentials in the dumps at camping grounds,  heading out to a nudist island off the coast of France (not as scary are the topless beaches of South of France when Raz decided to join in). We spent 3 years in Europe - mainly in the UK where Dad got work, and mostly in Winchester. It was an interesting time, we learnt a lot, travelled a lot, all did some theatre and were all lucky we got to see some of the world while still so young.

82 we got back to NZ. Mum got Guy and I into Kings School as she knew the headmaster, she started teaching there the next year. Was tough coming back to NZ at that age for me, well toughish probably. People had friend groups and I came back with a weird accent, didn't do any school activities as had to catch a long bus ride home and played Rugby for Papatoetoe club not for the school. Luckily I made some life long friends in 82, friends that I went through High School and so many other things with, friends that I still talk to now. Middle of 82 came the big surprise for all who knew me. I won the top scholarship to Kings College, right next to where I was born :) 83-87 were the High School Years, 88 at Otago, 89 at Auckland, 90 in Queenstown after pissing off Dad pretty badly by dropping out of Uni :)

The 90s were fun, pretty much broke all the time fun :) Worked in bars, clubs, radio, bike shops, ski shops, telemarketing, moved to Australia, got into Telecom, moved back home for a bit, moved back to Aus again then in 2001 it was off to the US. Met a girl, married, kids, marriage hit the rocks, got into youth rugby, met a chick, Covid virus turns up, wrote a blog for the first time in over a year (pretty much in that order).

There is way too much to look back on in a silly Poets Day blog, y'all would fall asleep reading it as quickly as I would fall asleep typing it :) Also I like to play what's in front of me - so let's look at the present and the future.

Presently I have a wonderful group of friends, way more than I deserve. I have my work friends, my rugby friends, my buddies and my family. I started listing them but the list just became too long. The most important know who they are and then there is Brian :)  Born in the same hospital 7 years apart, now living 30 mins apart. He is my Kiwi family here in the US and I am his. Greg, Boone, Adrian, Toby, Brad, Shaun, Joel, Chuck, Case, Cowboy and Deb, Joel etc, love y'all but South Auckland bros are bros for life :) This weekend, on the big day, it will be me, the kids and Jen - cold beer and steaks. All anyone ever really needs :)


I tend not to spend much time looking in the rear mirror - it is a good and a bad thing depending on if you are me or my therapist :) It apparently makes me different although I think it just makes everyone else wrong :) Obviously right now the whole world is going through something odd, weird and ultimately and eventually sad and life changing. No question there will be many that do not learn from it as societal amnesia is a very powerful disease unfortunately, hopefully there are many that do. We need to live a little more positively, look for the good and let go of the memories that hold us back and don't allow us to see the new. People change, let them prove it, don't stop them by not seeing the new them or the new you.

People are going to miss out on a lot of living in 2020. Sports, graduations, theatre, hanging out with friends, going to the gym, drinking brews with your buds and more importantly my 50th birthday party have all been postponed or cancelled, but for the right reason. We can get upset and all tore up but that is not going to help anything or anyone. The Poets Day creed is that we not sweat the shit we cannot control  - well technically it is 'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference'. Right now we need to get some serenity in our lives, a lot of courage and a touch of wisdom. 



It has been an amazing 50 so far, I am lucky to have lived the life I have and I am lucky to be living the life I am. As surreal as now feels, it is the now that I live in and I look forward to another lifetime of nows spent with y'all.


Work hard, play hard and earn your inspiration 

And wash ya damn hands :)

Mum, Dad, Becs and Jim, Guido and Helen , Jonno and Georgia and all the kids - miss y'all, love y'all and see y'all real soon :)


Happy Poets Day  :)






Comments

  1. Happy Birthday again my friend! Looking forward to having a birthday beer with you as soon as we are all allowed too. You are the best...I hope all your birthday wishes come true...XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Work hard and Play hard - the kiwi way