It’s the cracks that make us interesting


So the other night I was briefly watching “Running with Bear Grylls”, or what should be called “Bear Grylls interviews celebrities after making them eat maggots and sleep with him”. He had just spent the night spooning with one of the Jonas brothers (Alec I think, or Daniel, might have even been Stephen) and was conducting an in-depth interview whilst both of them were chilling their stones sitting in the snow. The Elephant Dung Drinker made the comment during his Oprah moment ‘It’s the cracks that make us interesting’ and I had to send that line to myself immediately as I knew it was a great theme for a blog. I also knew that if I didn’t send myself a note I would forget what it was he had said and would have to come up with a theme for this weeks blog all by myself.

Yes that was a long intro to nowhere but remember to be eligible for a Pulitzer I actually need to write something J

So this week it is all about the cracks, of the non-plumber type, that make us interesting. Let’s face it, if I was to list all my cracks I would be here all day, and that is definitely not happening on Poets Day – sort of ruins the whole premise of leaving work early. So instead of going somewhere no-one wants to go (professional or amateur) let’s just look at the general concept of our cracks making us interesting.

Funny thing is that most people try to smooth over the cracks as they are the bits that trip us up on the sidewalk of life. They grab a bucket of spackle, a trowel and if necessary a disk grinder to knock the edges down just so that they are easy to walk over. Ok, that may be a bit cruel but I was thinking of smooth sidewalks vs bumpy ones. A few years ago a bumpy sidewalk damn near sent me to meet the big guy with the beard after the chain ring on a mountain bike I was riding went through a decent chunk of my foot, an inch to the left would have been very bad for me. Yes we had been drinking and yes Mrs B I am still sorry about the blood on the sheets. J If that sidewalk had been smooth and sans cracks then I would be sans cool scar and cool story. It was the crack that made it interesting.

It is the same with people. Sure some people have a few too many cracks and need some medicated spackle to smooth them over but as usual I have done absolutely no research at all on this topic so I cannot speak to that. All I can speak to is the cracks I see and the cracks I know. The thing about some cracks is that they might just start as a micro fissure that, after having enough pressure applied, is not so micro any more. These are probably the bad cracks in one’s personality as they are not formed out of choice. Then there are the cracks that we put in ourselves to make sure we are not smooth and rounded (those of us who don’t want to be). Some of those cracks are simple and harmless, like writing this blog or reading it (although reading it is more mindless than harmless) and some might not be. It is the cracks that we try so hard to hide from others that really are the scariest, the cracks that we don’t want to be seen in the light, as they might just give someone the ability to look a little too deeply into our souls. We just need to know that we all have cracks but that those cracks don’t have to control how we roll and that some of those cracks might actually help us roll in the direction we need to go.

It is the cracks that make us interesting otherwise we would all roll exactly the same way, and that just wouldn’t be any fun.

As per my usual high standards this blog has exceeded 700 words and for some weird reason none of them are cuss words. The FDA has advised me to advise you that this blog contains no GMOs or Gluten products so it is safe to consume. It also contains at least 25% of your daily waste-your-time dietary requirements and 2 words (even though they are the same) in French. Finally I am aware that the Jonas brothers and the Baldwin brothers are only similar in one way, they all want to be the Roberts Brothers.

Work hard, play hard, earn your inspiration and watch out for the cracks (I promise not to bend over in front of you when you read this – unless you have at least paid for dinner and a movie)

Happy Poets Day

Don’t forget to donate to my Make a Wish fundraiser:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you