What motivates you?


I had to go to my back cracker today, Snap, Crackle and Pop in North Raleigh, as I had a rib lock up just below my right shoulder yesterday and they needed to get it moving again – and yes it is quite painful and it hurts when I breath. I have been going to S,C & P for as long as I can remember (which is not long in my case but that is another story) and as much as they probably hate me calling them S, C & P they don’t read my blog so what are they going to do about it J

Dr Crackle was adjusting my back, shoulders, neck, knees and hips today and we were talking about the fact that I cannot run without crippling shin splints. He asked how was I going to finish the triathlon I am doing in just over a week and I just said I would deal with the pain later (I am taking the good pills with me). He knows better than most that I have a pretty munted chassis but he also knows that I am a full basket short of a picnic so somehow I will get across the line. As I headed into work I was thinking about why I am doing this (amongst other things) and what motivates me.

The things that motivate me most just turned 10 and the other is 12. They both happen to think I am a bit crazy and they both happen to be a bit right.

So what motivates you?

Joe, the nearby gym owner made a comment to me the other day about the difference that he can see between people that have played organized, competitive sports (or competed in individual ones) and the people that have been involved in participation sports, when it comes to working out. He makes his money as a personal trainer so he wants more of the participation sports people coming to his gym as they need that external motivation to push a little harder. The people with an internal motivation are in the gym working the weights harder without the need for comment, however they are also the ones that aren’t paying a premium to be motivated. I am not sure if it is the years of being yelled at by your Coach that means you do not need to hear yelling any more, or the fact that years of playing in a competitive sport have made you self motivated to continue to be competitive even when you are not longer playing. Whatever it is there is something there that motivates you, it was probably there from the start which is the reason you played competitive sports in the first place.

People can be motivated by all sorts of things, pride in family and country are often the motivators for our military and first responders. Religion can be motivating for good and bad things depending at which end of the sword you are. Money is a great motivator for many however sometimes money can be a bit too motivating and morals can be forgotten. Love is a great motivator, in fact in many ways it is the best motivator of all (and sometimes the worst).

The motivation I chose recently to ensure I actually followed through to do the triathlon in a week (yes, I know I mention it a lot at the moment, be glad I am not talking about rugby) was one of embarrassment and pride (which might cometh before a fall but not alphabetically). I publically stated a few months ago I was going to do an event and once it was out there I had to do it to avoid the embarrassment of not following through as my stubborn headed dipshit pride wouldn't let me fail. Ok, so I might not do so well in the run/walk/hobble part but I am still going to finish and so far I have raised almost $1,500 for Make-a wish. Not bad for an old munted chassis with a severely downgraded mental capacity :) So Austin TX, I will see you soon. I have the bike, I have a wetsuit for the swim, I have Greenpeace making sure I don't get harpooned for Scientific research, I have run/walk/hobble shoes and more importantly I have the motivation to cross the finish line both in this event and in the other life events to come.

As usual this week's blog was written without forethought or hindsight (so pretty much just in the moment) or unfortunately an editor as the English Major has gone to re-live Woodstock somewhere with B (apparently A and C were taken). Any attempt at anything even slightly intellectual or thought provoking was purely accidental and not at all what this is about :) Maybe you enjoyed this week's blog, maybe you didn't, maybe I don't really care but if you read this far you either my Mum, my Therapist or in need of one :)

So work hard, play hard and earn your inspiration - even if it is cold beer that is your motivation.

Happy Poets Day

Don’t forget to donate to my Make a Wish fundraiser:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you