Degrees of Separation = Networking

I interviewed with someone the other day and they mentioned they needed someone to be able to present to C-Level Executives, my reply was no worries at all. I actually wondered what the big deal was, I have been dealing with people in higher positions than mine most my life so it isn't really a big deal to me. I have been fortunate that I have worked with some small companies (and some huge ones) and have realized that if you show the correct respect to people then usually you are fine. Heck, according to the old chestnut regarding 5 (or 6) degree's of separation you probably are connected to the person anyway. On LinkedIn it seems like you are 3 degree's of separation from almost anyone. Here are some of my favorite degree's of separation that I have - this is not name dropping - I have not necessarily broken bread with these people - some I have.

Paul Allen - A great family friend of our's son worked on his boat Octopus (Google it - well maybe Bing it as Allen is connected to Microsoft just a little bit) - So me - Friends son - Paul Allen. If I ever did meet him there is a conversation point off the block

Sir Edmund Hillary - Greatest kiwi ever - did some work for my Dad as a consultant - that one is pretty close - great talking point when I meet people from Nepal as they love him over there. RIP Sir Ed.

Jim Carey - this one is convoluted so stick with me here - a friend of my brother's who started in comedy initially because of them (according to his book) worked with his idol, Jim Carey, on Yes Man. I saw this particular person do (according to another brother) his first stand up in NZ in the 90's and then last year met up with him in San Francisco where he sold out Cobb Comedy Club - had not seen him in maybe 15 years but it was like meeting a long lost brother. We never knew each other well (I am pretty sure he and his wife are nice to me because they like my actual brothers) but I had a great evening after the show just hanging out and pretending to be his personal sketch artist :)

I could go on like this all week, but I am sure you get the gist (if you have read this far and have not just given up) but here is the meat of all this. We all have friends from many walks of life and creating and growing your network may just give you some great stories to share around a fire pit, may help you in a job search or assist you in your job itself. I have tried hard not to burn too many bridges in my life (some I have however firebombed) and I have benefited from those bridges and have tried to make sure that the bridge is a 2 way one (otherwise it will wear out quickly). Having a strong network means you have probably met with, dealt with people at the level you are working with. They put their pants on one leg at a time (probably) and just because they have the signature power doesn't make them all that special. Treat them with respect, don't be in awe, be polite, know your shit and you are most of the way there.

So what the heck do any of these post's have to do with Poets Day, simple really, Poets Day is not just about leaving work early for a drink on Friday (well not for me). In my mind you have to earn your right to celebrate Poets Day. There are few better things than a cold beer with friends after a hard weeks work, especially when you know you earned it. So for me, in 'transition', my pontifications here are the completion of my work week. The Heineken is cold and it is a beautiful day outside - typing will stop now :)

Work hard, play hard and earn your inspiration.

Happy Poets Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you