Having an opinion

As I type this I am also watching a replay of the All Blacks beating Australia at rugby in the 2011 World Cup - no better way to start your day - even if it is a replay and you know the score. Once again the opinions expressed here are mine, therefore not based on fact and should be taken with a shot of Jack Daniels.

Kiwi's are a different breed to Yanks, and yes, all Americans are Yanks to us. No insult intended - goes back to the World Wars. Kiwi's are not Aussie's, although Australia likes to steal/claim anything famous from New Zealand and make it theirs. A short list would include Phar Lap (race horse), Russel Crowe, Crowded House and the Lord of the Rings movies. Just a note, NZ was populated by farmers (insert sheep joke here) and Australia is just an oversized Alcatraz (still).

So back to our differences and rugby. Rugby as a team sport is fundamentally different to American Football and this is a great example of where our cultures are different. In Rugby every man is a general - they can make decisions. In the NFL there is one general, the quarterback. When everyone has the ability to make decisions, then everyone has the ability to express their opinion - right or wrong - but you can express it. Yes, there is freedom of speech you may say - same thing right? Not quite. In rugby, you are expressing your opinion in a team environment, where you need the others to agree/follow for your opinion to be of any use. When I was younger, I always thought my opinion was correct and argued it ‘till I pissed off my sister first (usually) followed by Mum and then everyone else that knew me. Now I have matured (stop laughing sis.) I now realize that sometimes I might be wrong (not very often obviously). However when I believe I am correct, I am a bit like a bull in a china shop when people don't respond/interact/acknowledge that opinion.

Just because you are the general in a business environment, it does not mean you are instantly all knowing - you need to listen to the grunts in the field, especially those who have worked their way up in the ranks - the ones with 3 stripes on their sleeve. No one knows everything and the best decision makers are those that seek input from others and value their opinions, even if they differ from theirs. Also, you better be prepared to back up your opinion if you have one, otherwise you are just a blowhard. I have no opinion on politics as I have no time for politicians, I think they are all about as freaking useless as each other. I have a lot of things I have very little opinion on because I cannot justify my opinion - but the things I have an strong opinion on I will defend steadfastly - I will listen to other opinions on the subject, but they need a compelling/passionate reason for me to change my opinion. A great example is bouncy ball. I live in an area where people are passionate about bouncy ball. March Madness starts soon and that is huge around here, but I cannot stand bouncy ball. My opinion is based a fair amount on an experience I had watching a game where UNC were beating someone by about 16 points with 1min 48secs to play - that last 1:48 took over 15 minutes of real time with fouls, time outs, commercials and who knows what else. I grew up with rugby, 1min 48secs is 1min 48 secs of play time. We don't have commercials during the game, there may be an injury time out, but that is it. Bouncy ball just pisses me off. Kicky round ball may not have time outs, etc., but what is the fun in watching a bunch of bad European actors prat fall all over the pitch for 90 mins with the final score of 0-0? In my opinion rugby is the greatest sport on the planet - and nothing is better than the All Blacks beating the Aussies.

So after reading this you may have the opinion that I am a complete pillock. Based on the preceding pontification, you probably have plenty of proof that I am :). You may be of the opinion that you have just lost a couple of minutes of your time that could have been better spent contemplating the lint in your navel. Excellent, glad you have an opinion, you are welcome :)

If you have an opinion, defend it logically/factually/passionately, it you can't then you didn't have an opinion in the first place so listen and learn until you can get an opinion of your own. Expressing my opinions has cost me in the past and will no doubt cost me in the future - some people value those who express their opinion and can back it up - and I will continue to be that bull in the china shop when, in my opinion, I need to be :)

It's time to celebrate Friday, Poets Day, cold ones calling my name.

Work hard and play hard and earn your inspiration.

Cheers Mate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The American Idol complex

Do not go gentle into that good night

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you